Wednesday, April 14, 2010

27/365: La Bougie - The Impressive


This cafe is one of the most impressive lounges I have visited. It could be understandable when I learnt that the former owner was an architect. Both layout and decorations of the cafe were designed and created by himself. It stunned me at the first look.







As dark Red is the main theme color and the light always kept at the low level, the atmosphere of La Bougie is in depth and quiet. Unique decorations such as embossed picture, terra-cotta masked, and figures made from strings and sedge mat are fantastic and make the cafe become unforgettable.








Located on the 2nd floor of an old house on Ma May st., it is not easy to notice the cafe on that busy street. La Bougie is quite small, as a common particular trait of cafe on Ha Noi old streets, but it brings to visitors a feeling of warm and close, which helps bring back anyone once they have visited the cafe.






The lounge has just had a change of ownership as the former one, which I mentioned above, will move to another city. The new owner is a very young - a 21 year old girl. After I told her about my purpose of taking these photos and my project, we had a long chat about the business of running a cafe. Giang, the girl's name, was talking very enthusiastically about how she knew the cafe, about the (former) owner, as well as how she decided to take over it and the initial difficulties she is facing in running the shop. The change of ownership was just happen one week before my visit so what she was doing to keep the business runs, I think, is very impressive.








Giang said "hope to see ya soon!" when I was leaving the cafe, just a common goodbye to everyone. I just thought as to complete this project, I have to force me to find and visit new cafe all the time and barely visit the ones I knew. Just a funny feeling!

On the other night, I felt like I would die for a coffee, so I decided to visit one of my favorite places, just to have a cup of coffee on my own. Having a favorite cafe for your own is good, especially when you want to be at a public place but still owning a private space. La Bougie is a perfect recommendation to you :)


Add: 34 Mã Mây st.

3 comments:

  1. Sax, anh quen anh Trung Leica à?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe! Nếu sở hữu một cái máy ảnh Leica được gọi biệt hiệu là Leica thì anh quen nhiều anh chị Leica lắm :D

    ReplyDelete